Hi,

The documentation at https://wiki.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/ExtraFields states that "It's possible to override settings from dovecot.conf", as well as the following:

> If you want to override settings inside sections, you can separate the > section name and key with '/'. For example:
>
> namespace default {
>   inbox = yes
>   separator = .
>   location = maildir:~/Maildir
> }
>
> The separator setting can be overridden by returning namespace/default/separator=. extra field.

As such, we would expect for it to be possible to override mail_max_userip_connections under the "protocol imap" section, with a passwdfile userdb looking something like this:

example:{CRYPT}x:1011:1011::/mail/example::userdb_protocol/imap/mail_max_userip_connections=100

The userdb returns the expected fields in the correct format (according to the documentation):

# doveadm user -u example
userdb: example
  user      : example
  uid       : 1011
  gid       : 1011
  home      : /mail/example
  protocol/imap/mail_max_userip_connections: 100

However, this new setting is not honoured. To test, I set "mail_max_userip_connections=1" in 20-imap.conf, and noticed that my second connection was closed with the following error:

dovecot[13573]: imap-login: Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded (mail_max_userip_connections=1)

I also attempted the same setting, without the "protocol/imap" prefix.

Is this not possible? Are there restrictions to what settings may be overridden in userdb? The documentation appears to suggest that there isn't.

Best regards,
Eirik Rye