On 9/13/2019 1:21 AM, Fabian via dovecot wrote:
Hi,

we are trying to add full text search functionality with Solr to our Doveoct
setup. Our Versions:
OS: Debian 9
Tried versions:
- Dovecot 2.2.7 with Solr 3.6
- Dovecot 2.3.4 with Solr 8.2
(2.2.7 from offical Debian repository, 2.3.4 from backports)

Search is working mostly of the time perfrectly smooth. But sometimes following
message appears in mail.err:
dovecot: imap(username)<16189><UxYWLVuSYMasEQoK>: Error: fts_solr:
received invalid uid '0'

If this error occurs our webmail frontend delivers most of the time a timeout.
Sometimes the search only takes really long.

Are  there any ideas why this error occurs? We are not able to reproduce the
error in such a way that it would always be reproducible. However, we can
reproduce the behavior in some form over and over again - but we do not know
exactly what is decisive.

Are you limiting Solr's memory usage? How much available memory is on your server?

To shortcut the conversation - if you don't have at least 16G of *free* RAM it's time to upgrade. My own server has 32G installed - I used to have 16G. My own Solr problems basically disappeared after adding RAM. And I only serve a few users - my own mailstore is the largest as I keep most of my mails. If you're serving 20+ users you'd probably benefit from doubling to at least 64G.

--
Daniel