On 22/09/2019 4:08 AM, @lbutlr via dovecot wrote:
>> So while I was migrating the mail, I did try for a while to understand the
>> format of the UID files, but failed to do so in the available time, so the
>> client just had to deal with duplicate emails. But now the smoke has
>> cleared, I'd like to understand the problem a little better, and I was
>> hoping someone on this forum could explain it to me, and the changes I'd
>> need to make to the files so that the POP client DIDN'T download the
>> duplicate emails.
>
> Did you check <https://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration>? It has a lot of info on
> this.

I did see that page, but was unable to figure out which of the three UID
related files I needed to keep, and which to edit in order to 'trick' the email
client into not re-downloading the mails.

The migration was from dovecot 2.x to 2.x, so I don't think there was any
translation issue between servers. The POP clients were Outlook (my old
nemesis). The only information I could find is that the dovecot UIDL format is
pop3_uidl_format = %v.%u
But that didn't really take me anywhere. So its all a bit of a mystery. I was
hoping there would be a UID guru on this list who could walk me through it, or
point me to some reference.

> Don’t know, but dsync says it does this:
> "The pop3-migration plugin is used to preserve POP3 UIDLs. When dsync is
> handling IMAP INBOX and requests a POP3 UIDL, the plugin connects to the POP3
> server and figures out which IMAP messages match which POP3 messages and then
> returns the appropriate POP3 UIDL.”
> Trouble is, if you are migrating POP and the server is not up, I am not sure
> what you can do with dsync?

I did try to use dsync (aka doveadm sync) for a few hours, but couldn't get a
test account to migrate across. It seems like this would have been the solution
but I was unable to confirm. At times it seemed to login and complete without
error, but I could never find where it had put the mail! Other times it refused
to login or gave permission errors. I looked around for real life examples, but
wasn't able to find any.

Had I got it to work, I could maybe have figured out the UID problem. Maybe
that will be a project for me in the future, when I have a spare few hours!

Maybe if I gave a few details of the directory structure that would help. I was
migrating from a Cpanel installation to a standalone mail server.
In Cpanel, there was the admin account login, and under that
~/mail/domain1.com/mailbox1
~/mail/domain1.com/mailbox2
~/mail/domain2.com/mailbox1
~/mail/domain2.com/mailbox2

On the target server the same structure existed. One login, admin, and under
that account
~/mail/domain1.com/mailbox1
~/mail/domain1.com/mailbox2
~/mail/domain2.com/mailbox1
~/mail/domain2.com/mailbox2
All files and directories were chown admin:mail

The command I used was
doveadm sync -u t...@domain.com ssh -i id_rsa -o "StrictHostKeyChecking=no"
admin@100.110.120.130

I tried a few options to tell it where to put the mail, but dovecot on the
target server didn't seem to know where each account was located.

P.