On 2020-05-30 07:49, Admin Beckspaced wrote:
Am 29.05.2020 um 17:37 schrieb Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay:
Hi,

I want to do a simple backup of my maildir. I read here that maildirlock is not to count on in the future and the recommended option was to use doveadm backup. However, it seems that this requires to setup another dovecot server.

My questions are:

- How much to I need to configure this new server? Do I need to setup user by user, or even install postfix (that's where my users are configured) to get it all backed up? I tried to install dovecot and running doveadm backup, but it complains the users are not there. - What's the simplest way to configure dovecot without mirrowing my server so that this can work?

Best,

Francis

---
Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay
Oslo, Norway

Hello Francis,

I also have maildir as mailbox format and use the following script to
do daily backups

https://github.com/tachtler/dovecot-backup

There's also a more detailed how-to which explains how to do a restore.
But it's only in german language

https://www.dokuwiki.tachtler.net/doku.php?id=tachtler:dovecot_backup_-_skript

Google Translate is your friend ;)
perhaps this might help?

greetings
Becki

Thanks a lot Becki. I read your script, but the thing is that I want to backup to a remote server. Your script seems to be focused on a local backup. Did I get it right? But it still gives me a good idea of a possibility of backing up locally and rsyncing to another server.