On Fri, 17 Jul 2020, Gerald Galster wrote:

You could try
https://serverfault.com/questions/939418/how-do-i-configure-doveadm-a-with-passdb

passdb {
   args = scheme=sha512-crypt /etc/mail/passwd
   driver = passwd-file
}

userdb {
   default_fields = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%d/%n
   args = /etc/mail/passwd
   driver = passwd-file
}

I've never tested this as I have my users in a mysql database.

Just wanted to quickly butt in to confirm that the above does work (my config is very similar) and allows for the replication to work just fine.

For reference, I have:

userdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = username_format=%Lu /etc/dovecot/virtual_passwd
  default_fields = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/mail/%d/%n
}

passdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = scheme=SHA512-CRYPT username_format=%Lu /etc/dovecot/virtual_passwd
}

Cheers,
Bernardo