Citeren Raymond Herrera <raym...@forcewise.com>:

That is good to know. I was working on the wrong assumption, attempting to create a client certificate on the Windows/Thunderbird side.

I am using the SSL Certificate that comes with the distribution, so the conclusion is Thunderbird does not trust it.

I have this in my notes from ages ago, for generating my own self-signed certificate:

% openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:4096 -sha256 -keyout openssl.key -out openssl.crt -days 600 -config san.cnf

See attached the 2 errors that I am getting, one is from the distribution cert.

I recommend you stay clear of self-signed certificates if the number of users is greater than one, unless there is a very specific need to use them. Setting up multiple systems to trust your self-signed certificate is no fun when you need to aid people in setting up their systems to trust it.

Can a kind soul tell me the current way to do this in Linux?

Perhaps I should use a free service? Which?

In most cases, Letsencrypt will work just fine. Do remember to setup auto renewal for your certificate(s) and make sure you trigger your systems to reload them upon renewal. You wouldn't be the first to forget about the latter.

TIA

Raymond