On Mon, 26 Apr 2021, Marco Fioretti wrote:

3) a few days ago I received a new modem from my ISP, as part of their
network upgrade operations

4) more or less in the same moment the problem I reported here
disappeared. Now mutt stays connected even 24 hours without losing
connection.

I am NOT 100% sure that the problem disappeared AFTER the change of
modem. That happened during a few chaotic days, both work- and
family-wise, so I did not take notes. And modems may have nothing to
do at all with the disconnections. But now the problem is not there
anymore, I have no clue what may have happened, and if anybody can
guess... thanks in advance.

Does this modem also have an integrated router?  These units tend to
act as NAT gateways/firewalls that keep track of "active" sessions by
tracking external/interface NAT address mappings.  Cheap or older one
could have TTL on these entries i.e. if no traffic is detected within
a time window, it is discarded, and appearing as if the endpoints had
disconnected.  I guess it could also happen if the state tracking
tables has limited memory and your internal network is busy, like a family
member opening up a P2P application.

Just a hypothesis.

Apr 12 16:12:49 SERVERNAME dovecot: imap(ACCOUNTNAME): Logged out in=164 out=757

However, my hypothesis wouldn't produce this.  This is a active
logout.

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>