That query should search ALL emails that dovecot has indexed to Solr.
There is no restriction for mailbox or folder.

OK.

Try replacing "maynez" with something else that you know will be in the index.

Did a search on "the". Still nothing. Very, very weird. What would explain why my email client is still returning results I get nothing from the command line?

Here is the exact command I'm running:

time curl http://172.30.0.94:8983/solr/dondley/select?q=the&defType=edismax&qf=body+to+subjec:t+ccfrom

Do you see any typos in there?

Note that you can ask dovecot to completely reindex everybody's email
with this command run as root, and then you can try searching again a
few minutes later:

doveadm index -A -q '*'

Yeah, tried this yesterday. Didn't help. If you think I should try again, let me know.