Unfortunately, this document doesn't really address the OP's need,
which is to migrate mailbox formats on the same server.  Now migrating
to a new server would work, where the new server was setup to use
maildir as the default.

Maybe a new section could be added talking about this situation in
more explicit terms, with some real examples of conversions?

John