> On 07/07/2022 23:59 EEST Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net> wrote:
>

> On 07/07/2022 07:24, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> >

> > > On 06/07/2022 16:54 EEST Aki Tuomi via Dovecot-news
> > > <dovecot-n...@dovecot.org> wrote:
> > >

> > > Affected product: Dovecot IMAP Server
> > > Internal reference: DOV-5320
> > > Vulnerability type: Improper Access Control (CWE-284)
> > > Vulnerable version: 2.2
> > > Vulnerable component: submission
> > > Report confidence: Confirmed
> > > Solution status: Fixed in main
> > > Researcher credits: Julian Brook (julezman)
> > > Vendor notification: 2022-05-06
> > > CVE reference: CVE-2022-30550
> > > CVSS: 6.8 (CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:H/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:N)
> > >
> > > Vulnerability Details:
> > > When two passdb configuration entries exist in Dovecot configuration,
> > > which have the same driver and args settings, the incorrect
> > > username_filter and mechanism settings can be applied to passdb
> > > definitions. These incorrectly applied settings can lead to an unintended
> > > security configuration and can permit privilege escalation with certain
> > > configurations involving master user authentication.
> > >
> > > Dovecot documentation does not advise against the use of passdb
> > > definitions which have the same driver and args settings. One such
> > > configuration would be where an administrator wishes to use the same pam
> > > configuration or passwd file for both normal and master users but use the
> > > username_filter setting to restrict which of the users is able to be a
> > > master user.
> > >
> > > Risk:
> > > If same passwd file or PAM is used for both normal and master users, it
> > > is possible for attacker to become master user.
> > >
> > > Workaround:
> > > Always authenticate master users from different source than regular
> > > users, e.g. using a separate passwd file. Alternatively, you can use
> > > global ACLs to ensure that only legimate master users have priviledged
> > > access.
> > >
> > > Fix:
> > > This has been fixed in main branch. See
> > > https://github.com/dovecot/core/compare/7bad6a24%5E..a1022072.patch
> >
> > Two small corrections to this CVE notice... The service impacted is of
> > course 'auth' not 'submission', and the version impacted is from 2.2 to
> > 2.3.19.1.
> >
> > Aki
>
> I wouldnt exactly call them " small " corrections
> its like saying the left window on your 2020 car can be pushed down easily to
> saying oh wait its every window and you dont need a key to start the engine
> and btw its all cars from 2010 to 2022
>
> And if its that serious where is the release, thats how dealing with CVE's
> works Aki, not a CVE statement saying go to gitbub.
> That said, I'd assume everyone uses a separate db for support teams anyway,
> or I'd hope so/
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Noel Butler

Not all CVEs are "that serious". CVE scores are problematic, you can have a
solid 10.0 CVE score that affects practically no one, and you can have a 3.8
CVE that affects ~everyone using the software.

This particular bug requires a quite specific setup, and also provides a
sensible workaround for it.

It will be included in upcoming 2.4 release, we do not currently see any
pressing reason to rush out a CVE patch release for this.

Aki