Hi folks,

on a Rocky Linux 8.6 based home server I run Dovecot with an account that I use as an archive. Archive means, that from different Thunderbird instances I connect to that Dovecot via IMAPS to move emails there, that I want to keep. Since some days from all Thunderbird instances I can no longer connect to that Dovecot account. In /var/log/maillog of the server I see

Sep 14 06:39:54 server3 dovecot[2033173]: imap-login: Disconnected: Connection closed: SSL_accept() failed: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42 (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=192.168.177.105, lip=192.168.177.13, TLS handshaking: SSL_accept() failed: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42, session=<dL1luJvokK3AqLFp>

I found that Openssl alert number 42 might be a problem with the SSL certificate (which certificate?) but also might be an expired SSL certificate (which certificate?). As on the Dovecot installation I work with a self signed certificat. I created a new self signed certificate yesterday with an expiry not before year 2032. That did not help, I see the same messages when I try to connect from Thunderbird.

Just to see how Thunderbird is involved in the problem I installed Claws-Mail. From Claws-Mail I do NOT have those problems, I can access to Dovecot via IMAPS as expected.

I do not understand why all my Thunderbird installations can no longer access Dovecot via IMAPS. This worked fine for about 18 months. I can't prove but I think on beginning of month it worked fine. Something happened meanwhile.

If there is a problem with an SSL certificate (bad certificate: SSL alert number 42), which certificate makes the problem? The certificate used by Dovecot or some certificate used in Thunderbird?

About installation:

        cat /etc/redhat-release
        Rocky Linux release 8.6 (Green Obsidian)

        dovecot --version
        2.3.16 (7e2e900c1a)

        sudo dovecot -n
        # 2.3.16 (7e2e900c1a): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
        # OS: Linux 4.18.0-372.19.1.el8_6.x86_64 x86_64 Rocky Linux
                 release 8.6 (Green Obsidian)
        # Hostname: .......
        auth_debug = yes
        auth_mechanisms = plain login
        auth_verbose = yes
        first_valid_uid = 1000
        mail_debug = yes
        mail_gid = vmail
        mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
        mail_privileged_group = vmail
        mail_uid = vmail
        mbox_write_locks = fcntl
        namespace {
          inbox = yes
          location =
          mailbox Archives {
                special_use = \Archive
          }
          prefix = INBOX/
          separator = /
          type = private
        }
        passdb {
          args = scheme=CRYPT username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
          driver = passwd-file
        }
        protocols = imap
        service imap-login {
          inet_listener imap {
                port = 0
          }
        }
        ssl = required
        ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/......crt
        ssl_cipher_list = PROFILE=SYSTEM
        ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
        userdb {
          args = username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
          driver = passwd-file
        }
        verbose_proctitle = yes

I used the following command to recreate the SSL certificate for Dovecot:

        sudo openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 3650 -newkey rsa:4096
         -keyout /etc/dovecot/......key -out /etc/dovecot/......crt

And with the command

        openssl s_client -crlf -connect .....:993

I can successfully connect to Dovecot and "simulate" a minimal IMAP-Session:

        * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
                 IDLE LITERAL+ AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready
        a login meikel.archive@..... topsecret
        a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
                 IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS
                 THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE
                 UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED
                 I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES
                 WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE
                 SNIPPET=FUZZY PREVIEW=FUZZY LITERAL+ NOTIFY
                 SPECIAL-USE] Logged in
        a logout
        * BYE Logging out
        a OK Logout completed (0.001 + 0.000 secs).
        closed

I have the problem with different Thunderbird installations on various operating systems (Windows 10, Fedora Linux 36 XFCE).

Regards,

Meikel