Sorry, I wanted to post from this alias, but From-Address isn't saved with my
drafts :)

I failed to recognize during my patchwork that the verification function is the
same for ARGON2I and -ID:
both call `verify_argon2`, which in turn calls `libsodium's
crypto_pwhash_str_verify`.

In the new light this, there is no "harm" in my patch:
- If backend gives back "{ARGON2}...", dovecot verifies with the same call
anyway, regardless of what subtype it actually is, i.e.: {ARGON2I} will work
too.
- If dovecot generates the hash, the prefix will be the one set by the config's
default hash, so for backwards comp., "{ARGON2ID}" could be used if someone
wants that. Dovecot will succeed in verifying {ARGON2} generated by itself as
well.

"Aki Tuomi" aki.tu...@open-xchange.com – 15 November 2022 13:55