So this should allow postfix to piggyback on top of whatever dovecot auth is being used.

On Thursday, December 8, 2022 4:49:06 AM AKST, Shawn Heisey wrote:
On 12/7/22 21:53, Henry R wrote:
can dovecot run as a general sasl service for other apps? such as webdav.

I am using dovecot to provide authentication for postfix submission. This is the config in postfix:

smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
# Referring to /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

In /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf I have this:

    mode = 0666
    user = postfix
    group = postfix
  }

If the application supports using a socket for sasl, then I would imagine that Dovecot should work.

Postfix is using the same postfixadmin database for email addresses that Dovecot is, but for authentication, it's all Dovecot.

I should probably look into Dovecot's submission support so I don't need to have postfix using that auth socket, just haven't found the time.

Thanks,
Shawn

--
https://justina.abeja.colmena.biz/