dovecot 2.2.27 and then 2.2.36 (tried both)
Trying to enable mail-crypt in global key mode. Nothing is ever encrypted, even
when I move mail from folder to folder.
I have tried everything available to find here, google, etc and I assume I am
missing something fundamental.
Debug log shows the plugin loading
Jun 15 08:26:00 srv2 dovecot: POP3(rick): Debug: Loading modules from
directory: /usr/lib/dovecot
Jun 15 08:26:00 srv2 dovecot: POP3(rick): Debug: Module loaded:
/usr/lib/dovecot/lib10_mail_crypt_plugin.so
Jun 15 08:26:00 srv2 dovecot: POP3(rick): Debug: mail_crypt_plugin:
mail_crypt_curve setting missing - generating EC keys disabled (I assume
because global not per user)

my 10-mailcrypt.conf in .conf.d
mail_plugins = $mail_plugins mail_crypt

plugin {
    mail_crypt_global_private_key = </certs/ecprivkey.pem
    mail_crypt_global_public_key = </certs/ecpubkey.pem
    mail_crypt_save_version = 2
}

I have also tried base64 encoded .pem files inline. I have also added the
mail_plugins line to my protocol definitions to no avail and when I do that
dovecot -n shows the lines as mail_plugins = " mail_crypt mail_crypt" so I
assume it's a mistake to add mail_plugins = $mail_plugins mail_crypt to the
protocol sections. Some online tutorials say must do this and others do not
mention it at all.

Just looking for some guidance as to where to go next.