> On 18/07/2023 12:11 EEST D D <pierre.alle...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> After further testing we realized that it was due to service_count = 100. We
> suspect that when the service count is reached, a new process is spawned,
> explaining the large number of imap-login processes.
>
> With service_count = 0 we stick with only 4 processes (process_min_avail).
> However, we're concerned with having these processes run indefinitely in case
> of memory leaks.
>
> Any insights on that?

It's unlikely that they leak memory, but in case that worries, you can do two
things:

configure vsz_limit for the service(s), or configure service_count for the
service(s). The first one will slay the login processes, disconnecting
everyone, if there is a leak, the second one will recycle the process at some
point.

Since 2.3.19, you can also use
https://doc.dovecot.org/settings/core/#core_setting-process_shutdown_filter to
shutdown the process if it's memory consumption goes too high.

Aki