I am running roundcube and dovecot on the same machine. To avoid the
described scenario, I have:

1. Enabled and configured selinux on that machine,
2. Enabled mail-crypt plugin with user keys in dovecot.

This should make it hard for an attacker to get access to the emails
even with root access gained through a compromised web server.

Am I right? :)

Am Freitag, dem 08.09.2023 um 06:50 +0800 schrieb jeremy ardley via
dovecot:

> On 8/9/23 05:00, joe a wrote:
> > Any known issues with installing/running roundcube and dovecot on
> > the
> > same server?
>

> There is a generic issue with doing this. That is if you have
> roundcube
> (or any other web mail interface) on the same server as dovecot, a
> breach of the web interface could be quite serious and allow access
> the complete mail store.
>
> A better configuration is to run the web mail interface on an
> isolated
> server and get it to communicate using TLS imap with a remote dovecot
> service.
>
> For economy, you could do this on the same machine using a small
> virtual
> server to run roundcube

Robert Senger