Yes, well, 6.x kernel is too new. Since we are close to making new major
release, the old version is not going to get that much new features or
compatibilty fixes anymore.

If you run 2.3 in too recent systems, you might run into issues. We officially
target centos7 & 8, rhel 7 & 8, ubuntu up to 20.04, debian stretch and bullseye.

Aki