Actually postfix can auth with sasl without dovecot

I run this myself.

I am unfamiliar with MariaDB however postgresql runs just fine.

You need to setup postfix + sasl (its an option at compile time) and then setup the main.cf postfix config mappings & outgoing sasl auth accordingly that will map to the database setup.

dovecot is not required if all you are doing is sending emails.

if you intend to receive emails then dovecot is required so they can be delivered ?

Have A Happy Saturday !!!

Thanks - Paul Kudla (Manager SCOM.CA Internet Services Inc.)

Scom.ca Internet Services <http://www.scom.ca>
004-1009 Byron Street South
Whitby, Ontario - Canada
L1N 4S3