Yep, testing purpose. In my config i set both lmtp and auth services with  "ssl
= yes", and then launch a client TLS connection:
openssl s_client -servername mail.sample.com   -connect localhost:12345
(and in port 24)
What I saw is:
- port 24 port (lmtp) - TLS handshake was done
- 12345 port (SASL auth) - Error version <something>

So later I did:
$ telnet localhost 12345

Below is the trace of the conversation, where <Server> is what server returns
me, and <Me> is the command I introduced.
Note: spaces showed below are <TAB>, like specified here
https://doc.dovecot.org/developer_manual/design/auth_protocol/

<Server> VERSION 1 2
<Server> MECH PLAIN plaintext
<Server> MECH LOGIN plaintext
<Server> SPID 478
<Server> CUID 11
<Server> COOKIE 37fefe8d32a7efd948538b7a33067e2d
<Server> DONE
<Me> VERSION 1 0
<Me> CPID 87
<Me> AUTH 11 LOGIN service=smtp debug
<Me> AUTH 11 LOGIN service=smtp debug
<Server> CONT 11 VXNlcm5hbWU6
<Me> CONT 11 dGVzdA==
<Server> CONT 11 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
<Me> CONT 11 ZBmtdC==
<Server> OK 11 user=test

So now what? How can I list the commands available? I didn't see in the docs
where to find this info.