On 2023-11-17 02:18, Nick Lockheart wrote:

My original reason for asking was, in addition to setting up a new mail server,
there was a topic that came up about port scanning.

My thought was, if the only people that need email services on ports 587 and
993 are employees, there might be a way to close down access to those ports to
reasonable ranges that employees might actually use.

However, for most people, not really worth the time to re-invent the wheel, but most people pay attention to spam tools and filters, but don't consider tools for testing authentication sources..

As a commercial provider, don't mind passing on 'tips'.. but it is a multi-tiered approach. One that is often easier dealt with by commercial products, public RBL's etc, designed for authentication restrictions, but the ONLY real way to deal with AUTH attacks, is 2FA of some sort..

But other than that, their are two things you are trying to address. Bot's & Hackers..

Bot traffic, will 'probably' not bother someone with good password policies, unless of course you allow clients to send passwords plain text, or a case of password re-use..

Still, you can address 'overhead' and the less you have in the logs, the easier it is to see real threats. Country AUTH restrictions ARE simply, and there ARE some countries that your clients will never travel to.. but this won't stop hackers that simply use VPN/Proxies/Compromised Servers to access you accounts.

This applies to 465/587 as well as Dovecot AUTH mechanism's.

Rate Limiters of course are ALWAYS important.. However, you have to realize that IP rate limiters CAN cause problems, when trying to deal with CGN's, shared IPs, etc..

And of course, as someone else pointed out, your 'clients' usually use carrier networks to access email, NOT cloud providers.

Hackers LOVE using the cloud, eg Amazon, gCloud, Azure for their attacks, but your clients don't come from there.. so block those IP spaces by default, but allow an override in case there is a real reason to access email from there (desktop in a cloud?, data monitoring scripts, SaaS which monitors your mailbox?)

And what about the other clouds.. Hackers are often getting VPS's strictly for hacking purposes, or to put up open proxies to get around country blocking.. (or hacking servers for that purpose)

Should any of your clients need to log in from an OVH or Digital Ocean or ColoCrossing IP?

But as you can see, this starts to become a lot of work to consider all the risk factors, and we all have too many things to do..

Consider looking at tools that do this for you, unless you want to make a hobby out of looking at AUTH logs..

As well, there are several RBL's out there strictly monitoring hacking sources, including one of own partners .. SpamRats RATS-AUTH and RATS-NULL...

Many of these are free to use, and either update regularly, or are available as realtime RBL's..

Our spam auditors.. it's amazing how often they see the same IPs used in email compromises all over the world.. make sure that you clearly show the IP address in your Received headers as well, will help others help you..

        by youserver.com (Postfix) with ESMTPSA

But of course, again .. off topic.. but hackers OFTEN will eavesdrop on your customers IMAP accounts just to steal data, way before they start abusing it for sending spam..

IMAP authentication, and BEC (Business Email Compromise) in general are some of our biggest threats, so all users of dovecot have a role to play in securing access..

but again ... Transparent 2FA first and foremost ;)

Again, hoping more of our patches for Dovecot 2FA ClientID make the light of day, and we are willing to work with anyone to help make that happen for ANY platform..

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."