Not really recommended editing the mailstorage directly once you start using dovecot custom stuff.

If you need to fetch a specific email, I use:
doveadm fetch -u u...@example.com text mailbox-guid $guid uid $uid

Quoting acheka...@lazurit.com:

Some time ago I enabled compression on incoming messages, so LMTP delivered messages were compressed. Good idea in terms of disk space, but now I cannot uncompress any of these messages even when I need to!

I was using this setting:

plugins {
  zlib_save = lz4
}

and now I can see this string at the beginning of each message file - "Dovecot-LZ4", so no other software can uncompress them for me.

Please advise, how can I uncompress message file in Maildir mailbox when I need to access its contents directly?