On 2024-01-21 09:29, Michael Peddemors wrote:
On 2024-01-21 04:43, Patrick Domack via dovecot wrote:

Quoting Benny Pedersen <m...@junc.eu>:

Christian Kivalo skrev den 2024-01-21 02:08:

Just wish LMTP would not end up with duplicate Return-Path headers..
Duplicate return path headers? I don't see them on my system. All mail is sent from postfix to dovecot with lmtp

it simply works better with lda ? :)

return-path is std postfix envelope sender pseudo header, bugs ?

it's not a pseudo header, it is defined starting in rfc-822, as to be added at time of delievery.

The LDA should add it, postfix lda add it (virtual/local) and dovecots do also (lda/lmtp)

I have used most postfix versions from 2.1 to 3.8 and dovecot lda and lmtp and haven't have never seen duplicate headers

Maybe it is just a Zimbra thing.. but we definitely see this occurring in the wild..   Maybe just poor configuration, but of course as per RFC, to be clear, is only supposed to be added by the 'final' delivery mechanism.

So, the logic that implies duplicate Return-Path either indicates a broken system, looping issue, or email replay fails in those situations.

Postfix adds...

Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 08:56:07 -0300
<Trace Headers>

After which it get handled by lmtp, which adds the following..

by <SVR NAME> with LMTP
id CMvDLNf1H2UcHQAAJRWI5g
(envelope-from <REDACT>)
for <REDACT>; Fri, 06 Oct 2023 08:56:07 -0300

I guess this is a double issue, postfix should know that in this case, it is not the final delivery, lmtp is.. and lmtp should probably either remove the previous Return-Path, or copy that to a new header.. since it was not supposed to be there (but that has ramifications too.

Also just observed in DirectAdmin, Exim->LMTP as well, but since this is a bit off topic for this list, just mentioning it quickly..

    by <LOCALHOSTNAME> with esmtp (Exim 4.97.1)
    (envelope-from <j...@sendingdomain.com>)
    id 1rSmjz-00000001amd-3RDT
    for re...@recipdomain.com;
    Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:33:07 -0800

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
"LinuxMagic" a Reg. TradeMark of Wizard Tower TechnoServices Ltd.