I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place for this question.

Consider a Sieve script with this instruction:

    fileinto :create "folder 1.folder 2.folder 3";

That faithfully creates in Maildir the folder named '.folder 1.folder 2.folder 3'/

An IMAP Client shows this in tree format as:

- folder 1
- - folder 2
- - - folder 3

But there isn't really a "folder 2". That is, there is no Maildir '.folder 1.folder 2' so what happens in the MUA is really subject to its coding. In Thunderbird, for example, 'folder 2' is grayed out. You can't subscribe to it or drop a file into that folder because it is disabled. With no mail actually targeted to that folder, that's generally not a problem, but Thunderbird does raise errors as it attempts to scan folders, correctly claiming that it can't access the folder because it doesn't exist. That's irritating to the user.

So to the questions:

1) Is there anything in Dovecot or Pidgeonhole Sieve that might allow us to auto-create the missing intermediate folders? Maybe using a vnd.dovecot.* extension or some sieve capability?

2) Aside from being inelegant, is there anything wrong with a cron script that creates missing Maildir folders? While I am developer, I haven't yet looked into the proper way to create and configure folders user folders.

3) Would it be more appropriate to create a new extension, implementation of some RFC, Lua script, or some other type of plugin that might get triggered on a fileinto operation? Again, I haven't looked deeply in this direction and could use a few RTM references.

4) Might there already exist an external script or custom extension that does this?

5) Might this be a worthy enhancement request for Dovecot or Pidgeonhole Sieve?

Thanks!

Dovecot 2.3.7.2 / Pidgeonhole 0.5.7.2 / Ubuntu v20