Agreed, although it doesn't apply to sending emails from non European citizens, only mailboxes containing European citizens' emails. It's only enforceable if the citizenship of the holder of the mailbox is known.

However, the assertion that if you are a company you are required to delete old emails automatically according to GDPR is not correct. In the UK which was aligned with the European GDPR there is no such requirement; in fact, for accounting and some legal reasons you are required to keep records for 6-7years, so if those records eg orders, are emails or attachments in emails they should be kept. https://www.ionos.co.uk/startupguide/grow-your-business/retention-periods-for-business-records/ (the email retention section)

It is probably more an individual company policy using GDPR as an "excuse". That is very commonly used as a reason why a company can or cannot do something, regardless of the actual GDPR law. In this case, probably to keep user's mail boxes down to a sensible size, although based on the above info, they may be breaking other laws by deleting emails.

You can look up the actual gdpr requirements if you are interested. the uk version is here
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/uk-gdpr-guidance-and-resources/data-protection-principles/a-guide-to-the-data-protection-principles/the-principles/storage-limitation/
which show you can keep data as emails as long as you want, providing you have a reason.

regards, Tim