My last post does not appear after a few days so I will post it again in
several posts in case it was too big?

Sorry for the delay but after debugging, I realized that Azure was blocking
outgoing port 25 on my VM.  I had to move my mail server to another hosting
server which involved using Apache reverse proxy with mod_md to get the
certificates on the new standalone mail server.  So, this part works now, and I
reverted to trying to make dovecot/postfix work.

I may have to go on therapy after all this, it is draining my morale
completely... ;)
All these things were so easy a while back using a control panel.