Hi, all,

First of all, I will admit I am totally a noob with Dovecot. I am trying to install it on Debian and am somewhat lost. Right now this is a test system on our LAN.

I'm starting with POP3 (because it's easy to handle from the CLI). I have it working from localhost - I can telnet to port localhost 110 and access emails (of course I can't do this from a remote system because it requires SSL).

Trying to access this from a remote system with Thunderbird is not working. /var/log/mail.log shows the following:

2024-03-03T22:18:54.887061-05:00 debian-server dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected: Connection closed: SSL_accept() failed: error:0A000412:SSL routines::sslv3 alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42 (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=206.223.85.12, lip=206.223.85.137, TLS handshaking: SSL_accept() failed: error:0A000412:SSL routines::sslv3 alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42, session=<l6qBL80SOePO31UM>

I tried to create a certificate with mkconf.sh but obviously don't have the right information in the configuration file and/or didn't get the files in the right place (I've seen different places they should be).

I need help. First of all, an explanation as to how to configure the dovecot-openssl.cnf file (an example with actual values - real or fake - would be a real help).

Second, where does this go?

Note that for right now I'm trying to just get one domain working but eventually this will serve at least 4 domains. Once I get the first domain working, thoughts about how to get multiple domains working would also be appreciated.

I know we noobs are a PITA but I really appreciate the help.

Jerry