I could really use some help debugging issue. It seems like dovecot is panicing because of some specific message(s) in my inbox. I can't find any easy way to get either my mail client or dovecot to tell me what it doesn't like. The mail client just says dovecot disconnects in the middle of the conversation. Meanwhile, dovecot panics.

Is there some way to turn on imap logging so dovecot tells me step by step which message got requested and which one it's sending to the client?

I've run 'doveadm -v force-resync -u m...@myserver.com me' many times. It returns very fast. I don't know if that's normal or not. Regardless, it does not help.

Is there some method to go through a mailbox (it's an mbox single-file mailbox) and sort out any problems?

Clearly dovecot is freaked by something in there, I just can't figure out what.

I can not migrate the entire server to maildir. I would be willing to migrate just my inbox to maildir to see if this fixes it. Any help on how to do this? Can this be done such that my ~/mail/* files remain as mbox files?

Michael Grant