Greg Earle <ea...@isolar.dyndns.org> writes:

> Obviously I've changed the account password but I would really like to
> know how they were able to create e-mails on my system when ostensibly I
> would have assumed they could only read the account's e-mails via IMAP.

The INBOX is not read-only.  There's nothing really special about this mailbox
versus other mailboxes.  IMAP is used to create messages all the time.
For example, if you have an outgoing "Sent" folder, once your mail reader
gives it to your mail server, it then puts a copy into the outgoing folder via
IMAP.  Once someone gain controls over your IMAP account, they can
create messages with a format totally different than what your mail server
can make.

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>