> On 07/08/2024 13:05 EEST Peter via dovecot <dovecot@dovecot.org> wrote:
>

> On 7/08/24 07:08, Kurt Fitzner via dovecot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just tried to install Dovecot (version 2.3.19.1 9b53102964) on a
> > Debian 12 server I'm building.  It failed because Dovecot's default
> > listen address is explicitly "*, ::" and it appears to have no logic to
> > determine if there actually is an IPv6-enabled interface or that IPv6 is
> > enabled on the target machine before it tries to listen on it.  If
> > dovecot wants to listen on IPv6 by default, that's neither here nor
> > there, but if this is default behaviour it should check first.
>
> How does this affect installation?
>
> I would not expect dovecot to work out of the box without having to
> change at least some settings to suit my specific installation.  Most
> servers nowadays are dual stack so *, :: makes sense as a default.  In
> your case you simply need to edit your dovecot.conf and add (or
> uncomment) listen = *.
>
>  > I'm curious if it's the same behaviour for machines without IPv4.
>
> Machines without IPv4 enabled are even more of a rarity than ones
> without IPv6 nowadays.

Just want to point out that the OP problem is that he has AF_INET6 disabled.

Dovecot is totaly happy to start if there is ::1 available on the system.
Notably this usually happens with Docker or some systems where AF_INET6 has
been intentionally disabled.

In these cases it's imo the operator's responsibility to change the listen line
to match their preference, and in dovecot's Docker images, we have changed
listen to just * for the docker reason.

It does not require you to have *publicly routable* ipv4 or ipv6, just
localhost will suffice.

Aki