Hi Herve,

On Mar 8, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

Vincent,

After our discussion on IRC, I perfectly understand how we could benefit from
convergence in the domain of document parsing and rendering, with the
advantage of not only more developpers, but more users too, then more tests.

yep.

Regarding tests we have more than 900 unit tests overall for the XWiki Rendering engine. This is absolutely needed because parsing/rendering seems an easy task but it's really complex when you tackle edge cases. We would never have been able to code a strong bi-directional wiki <-- > XHTML conversion without these tests.

Vincent Siveton did a great job with an Eclipse plugin that was integrated in
m2eclipse, but:
- this is only Eclipse-centric, how about other IDE's?
- it would still need a lot of work to continue improve it (it actually helps
me a lot when editing pages, no show-stopper bugs: only minor things)
  - our brand new GWT-based WYSIWYG editor
Is there something in XWiki to help editing pages that are on local disk (and
stored in svn)?

There's a Storage interface. Currently we have one implementation for Hibernate and another for JCR. It's possible to add one SVN but nobody has been working on this.
Re local disk, I guess the JCR implementation could be used for that.

Would this GWT-based WYSIWYG editor help here? Or is it only
web-centric?

The WYSIWYG editor is a web-based editor of course but it takes its content from any XHTML content (which can be generated by the XWiki Rendering from any source).

Thanks
-Vincent

Regards,

Hervé