I guess perhaps I was seeing things.  I've used localprefs...but I didn't
remember creating it.

This is off subject, but as far as the whole localprefs.js/preferences.js
I've got an entirely different opinion.

-Get rid of localprefs.js.
-Create a file called preference_values.js (or whatever floats your boat)

Then change preferences.js to hold the following information:
-Name of pref
-HTML code to change pref: <input name type=checkbox onChange=updatePrefs()
value=?>  (yeah....lotta work to be done on that)

Then, we create functions that will:
- Create a preferences popup form (like the About form) and show HTML for
all the preferences found in preferences.js
- Load the values out of preference_values.js (replace the ? from the HTML
code)
- Maintain/update and output the array to the preference_values.js using
code like the current history functions.
- Force reload of dqsdd when user presses "Save"

So...it's little more than a theory right now, but I feel it should be done
that way or something similar.  *Nix users love editing text based
preference files - but the average Windows user doesn't.

I'm working on another rather extensive addition to dqsdd right now.  After
I finish it, perhaps I'll tackle that theory.

-Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Ryan Edwards
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 5:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [DQSD-Users] Missing local-stuff.....


I've been doing that with the localprefs.js / preferences.js files. My
plan was to move all of the commenting currently found in preferences
into localprefs and comment out all of the lines used to set values.

This way, the user doesn't have to go through the process of copying the
setting he wants to change into localprefs because they are all already
there, just commented out. The preferences.js file would become a simple
list without any commenting like aliases.txt, its only purpose to set
the default values.

Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Carr [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: April 30, 2002 1:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [DQSD-Users] Missing local-stuff.....

I'm almost certain that localaliases.txt is the only user preference
file
installed.  It was installed simply to give some examples of usage.

Probably is a good idea to at least drop empty copies of the other user
preference files in a fresh install, with just some comments at the top
explaining usage.

> Now that HAS to clear everything.  And indeed it did.  I am completely
free
> of the script errors.  But I noticed something odd.  None of the
> local[search/css/aliases/etc] files were in my Quick Search Deskbar
folder.
> I had to create them.
>
> I thought blank copies were placed in the folder on a clean install.
Is
> something wrong with the installer?  Or does the install check some
registry
> setting that isn't being cleaned up by the uninstaller?  Or is this
exactly
> as it's supposed to be.



_______________________________________________________________

Have big pipes? SourceForge.net is looking for download mirrors. We
supply
the hardware. You get the recognition. Email Us:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dqsd-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dqsd-users
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=8601

_______________________________________________________________

Have big pipes? SourceForge.net is looking for download mirrors. We supply
the hardware. You get the recognition. Email Us:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dqsd-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dqsd-users
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id01



_______________________________________________________________

Have big pipes? SourceForge.net is looking for download mirrors. We supply
the hardware. You get the recognition. Email Us: 
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dqsd-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dqsd-users
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=8601

Reply via email to