I often find myself not
using DQSD simply because of the fact that it opens a browser, and displays a
lot more information than I am really looking for. As an example of this, if I
am using the currency conversion function, I'd rather not see all of the
additional XE.com branding etc. Similarly, if I am looking up a word, or want to
do a translation of a piece of text, I'd rather not see the Babelfish or Mirriam
Webster branding -- I just want the text result to paste in somewhere
else.
With this in mind, how
about a ticker-tape mode of operation in DQSD where certain searches would
support simple plain text responses that would get pushed onto a little results
window (in the same style as the quick reference window that you get when you
press the >> button), arranged like a printing calculator
e.g.
1 USD >
EUR
1 USD = 0.922636 EUR
babel /from:es
/to:en cabra goat
$MSFT 28.14
I realise that this is
often difficult to do, because it means DQSD would have to scrape results from
pages, but this is not always difficult e.g. in the case of Babelfish the result
of a translation is neatly labelled with a CSS style that isn't used anywhere
else in the page, making it easy to pull out using a regular
_expression_.
Regards,
Ronan
