Sorry for the message.  John Bairen pointed me to the FAQ
and the whole sequence with SetBrowser did the trick.  Now
I'm using Firebird and free of the IE-related hangs.

Only one annoyance left -- the time doesn't show up in the
window until I click in the taskbar.  I fooled around with
the delay and display help settings and those didn't seem
to fix the problem.

                                                B.J.