Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the added detail... Interesting that 64-bit processes cannot
load 32-bit DLL:s -- I hadn't even thought about it that way.

It would be nice if we could build DQSD for 64-bit, but there are two main problems:

a) Getting a build environment for 64-bit targets

b) Testing and fixing potential bugs occuring only on 64-bit targets

If you (or anyone else) can help with these two, I'd be happy to give it a shot.

Does anybody know if we need to run on Win64 to build for Win64, or if there's a 32-bit compiler targetting Win64?

- Kim

Charlie Russel wrote:
Yes, Kim, I have tried it. :(

The problem is that explorer.exe, and thus the desktop and task bar
are 64 bit. You can't use a 32-bit extension to a 64-bit app --
64-bit apps can't call 32-bit dlls, and 32-bit apps can't call 64-bit
dlls. So even if the hooks are there, they're 64-bit hooks, and can't
talk to the 32-bit DQSD. If DQSD were a standalone app, it would
work. As you say, the vast majority of 32-bit applications work just
fine.

There's a known workaround for context menu extensions (right mouse
click stuff like WinZIP) that allows one to run the 32-bit
explorer.exe, but it doesn't replace your desktop, only opens a
separate window for Windows Explorer that runs in the WOW64 subsystem
(the 32-bit subsystem, IOW).

If you need references/pointers to appropriate developer level docs,
I can probably help, but I am NOT a developer, though I have written
C code when I absolutely had to. But it was a long, long time ago.

Charlie.

-----Original Message----- From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:dqsd-users- [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kim Gräsman Sent: April
27, 2005 8:56 AM To: dqsd-users@lists.sourceforge.net Subject: Re:
[DQSD-Users] x64 Version, please?!

Hi Charlie,

I don't know much about Win64, but don't 32-bit apps run cleanly on
it? As long as the shell has the hooks used by DQSD, it should just
work.

Did you try it out?

Cheers, - Kim

Charlie Russel wrote:

OK, I know I asked this before, when the x64 version of Windows
went RTM. But not it is actually out, and showing up in the
OEM/System Builder channels. Any chance of an x64 version of
DQSD? Please? I'd _love_ to switch my main desktop over to XP
Professional x64 Edition, but I'd _really_ miss my DQSD.

I am _not_ a developer, but I'd be _glad_ to make a machine
available remotely to facilitate this. And I can install your
compiler of choice on it, as necessary (I have MSDN to cover that
box.) If this offer makes sense, contact me off-list.