In a message dated 9/6/2003 21:37:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I would not switch from low to high voltage while transmitting.   Is that what you meant?

Hi Stu,

Yes, that is basically what I meant.  When you switch from CW/TUNE to SSB, you are changing taps on the power transformer, a big inductive load.  This practice will, in time, burn the contacts on the switch.  Since the POWER switch does basically the same thing, but is used more often, it is not unusual for that side of the switch to fail first.  That is why I installed a relay to handle the heavy switching load. Now the switch only handles the relay coil, still inductive load wise, but the current is nil.

When I got my L-4B, I knew there might eventually be a problem with a switch that is nearly impossible to find, so I decided to take that precaution.  At the same time, I installed a soft start circuit.  I did the same with my L-7 and plan to do likewise with a recently acquired L-75.

73,

John,  W4AWM