Hi Ron (and group) -

I hesitate to post because I am very new to this mode, but I will give it a shot.

I have discovered through trial and error (much error I might add), that if you are
sending out PSK so that you actually see the green LED light up, you are sending out a
 r e a l l y  bad signal.  One guy told me last week when I was first experimenting
that my signal was wiping out much of the band because I was overmodulating in a
really BIG way.

I usually have my carrier gain at the 9 AM mark (on a 12 hour face) at the most - the
bottom being about 7 AM, if you know what I mean.  So, no, the green LED light should
NOT be lit at all when sending out PSK.

Secondly, you really have to control and turn down the audio out or "play" volume of
the audio sound card you are using.

I still think that I am getting some RF on my mic line that is compromising my signal,
probably because my mic line is NOT shielded, even though I have the line wrapped
around a ferrite rod about 15 times, just before it enters the mic jack.  The guys on
the air tell me you need a two conductor mic/audio line that is well shielded.

Also I have been fudging a bit in that I have not purchased the outboard PSK box that
most of the people are using.  I think that also is contributing to some of the
problem I have been having so far.

In practice, at most you should not be putting out more than about 10 or 15 watts when
using the TR-7.  I have found that the most anyone uses is 50 watts, most are using in
the 30 watt range max.  I guess you have to depend on a good antenna to really work
the DX, but so far (from WA state), I have managed to work most of South America with
a simple double extended Zepp with about 10 watts.

Anyway Ron, good luck with the mode and if you have any suggestions about making the
TR-7 work better, I am all ears/eyes - lol.

73's - Bill-N7MFB