Garey,

Thanks for the advice but I know about Lubriplate on the detent. I wish the
previous owner(s) had used it. Unfortunately, when I purchased this
receiver a few years ago it was already broken. Except for that minor
defect the receiver is in nearly perfect condition. The only other thing it
needs is a 6 KHz AM filter to complete it.

The next time I have it open I'll take your advice and check the switch to
see if it is assembled with screws. I just may have a good "front end" in
the junque box, hopefully with a ball bearing detent.

Ken, WA2LBI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Garey Barrell

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      g.com>                   cc:      [EMAIL PROTECTED],
Ken_Winterling/HO/MAIL/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                               Subject: Re: [drakelist] Wanted: R-4C
Function Switch
                      10/19/2003 15:37

Ken -

You may want to consider swapping the switch wafers
onto a new "front end" from a standard switch.  Many
are assemble with screws making it an easy swap.  I
have repaired a couple this way.  I don't recall the
size of the Function wafers, but they are a standard
size.  Centralab offered a line of switches in "kit
form" for a while that allowed you to assemble switches
from various wafers and detent mechanisms.  I still see
these at hamfests now and then.

For those switches that haven't broken yet, a little
Lubriplate in the detent mechanism will prevent this.
If your switch is hard to turn or snaps loudly, lube it!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta