> Hi All:
>
> First, where are the skeletons, specifically are there common failures
> that are difficult to repair either because of complexity or
> hard-to-find parts?

In my experience, the TR-7 is a fine, reliable radio, with excellent transmit
and receive audio.  I have it paired up with a R-7 for transceive operation,
but rarely use the R-7.

You should definitely get your hands on a service manual.  You'll need it if
you have any kind of the problem.

The most common misadjustment that causes problems -- bad audio
(tinny, bassy), funky sideband response, etc. is the 10V regulator board
and it's associated adjustments to place the reference oscillators in the
right spot.  But alignment is straightforward.

I've had two failures on the digital display board, which caused frequency
display problems.  They were not difficult to isolate and repair, but might
be  a problem if you don't have experience tracing and debugging digital
circuits.

> Second, if one of these radios does fail and needs servicing beyond my
> abilities, is reputable service easy to come by?

There are guys out there who repair these things.  One such person is
here: http://www.siscom.net/~jandsuz/index1.htm.  Besides that, there
are a lot of people with experience that can help, and it's often possible to
find complete boards, or parts units at not too unreasonable prices.

Also, it's a good idea to look around for a set of extender boards.  And
then hope you never have to use them :-)  But you can't service critical
parts of the radio without them.

Pulling, applying (sparingly) DeOxit, etc. to board contacts, and reseating
is a reasonable "preventive" measure.

You may also find that a previous owner has really stretched the limit on
power output adjustments, and in my view there's no reason to stress the
radio by pushing output to the max.

Drift in the analog PTO is affected by heat from the pilot lamp on the
analog display.  A lot of people (me included) pull that lamp out.  You
don't need it as long as your TR-7 isn't one of the very early ones without
the DR-7 (digital display).  It was initially an option and not a standard
feature.  I wouldn't buy one without the digital display anyway.

> Finally, what should I be on the alert for when buying a TR-7 (common
> failures, expensive failures, etc.)?

If you can get a few minutes with it before plunking down your cash, I'd
try to check it on all bands .. at least to make sure the display and
asociated digital hardware is working properly.  Thats the only place I've
ever had a failure with one.

Grant/NQ5T