A last comment from my side to this topic: a reliable and
accurate [µV], [dBµV] or [dBm] signal amplitude readout in
an amateur receiver, that is frequency and bandwith indepen-
dent, is one of the challenges, that directly leads to the
development of something similar to a measurement-class-
receiver...and this measurement stuff, if seriously made,
is expensive like hell (appr. 40.000,-- US$ for a brandnew
approbriate and accurate HF-model from a German manufacturer
with worldwide reputation is not a remarkable price i.e.).

73 from

Herbert, DG7MCC

Pietro Lapiana schrieb:

Tnx to everybody for the explanations that give to the S meter a real
relative value and function. Much more correct it could be just to read the
microvolts indication for signal intensity instead of a S meter settled
following different standards among different receivers. 2 signals with
amplitude S9+20 can have a huge difference in terms of real signal at the
antenna of 2 receivers even if the sound at the speaker "looks good". My
question was mainly a doubt coming from my engineer background where numbers
are not just an indication.
Tnx to everybody for the interesting considerations.
73
De
IOKPL, Pietro