-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Garey Barrell
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2004 10:30 AM
To: Jim DiMauro
Cc: Drake List
Subject: Re: [drakelist] B-Line vs. C-Line Transceive Operation

Jim -

The late A and all B line receivers relied on color coded
crystals in the transmitter and receiver to keep them "on
frequency" in transceive operation over temperature.  This is the
letter at the end of the serial number on the A and B units.
Red, Blue or Green, and sometimes Yellow!

In the C line the two oscillators were patched together with the
BFO cable, enabling a sort of phase lock between them.

Used with a B receiver, the only advantage of the C transmitter
is the dual dials rather than the single dial and knob skirt of
the B.  Everything else is the same.  There are a couple of minor
circuitry differences, but nothing significant.

If you want to transceive in SSB, you want a B transmitter with
the same color coded crystal as your receiver.  Not easy to do
these days!  Also, check the actual paint stripe on the crystal,
since some were changed back when Drake still offered a  crystal
exchange.  The alternative is to modify a small Xcelite
screwdriver to allow you to make the Transceive Align procedure
adjustment in the R-4B without pulling the top cover!!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

Jim DiMauro wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I used to own a C-Line that I foolishly sold about four years ago, and
I've
> regretted the sale ever since.  I vowed to replace it, and I got my first
> replacement piece at Dayton last Saturday: an R-4B.  Not being intimately
> familiar with the B-Line, I've learned that the B-Line has only the INJ
line
> to slave the xmtr and rcvr together for transceive, unlike the C-Line that
> had a BFO line as well.  What are the operational and/or practical
> implications of transceiving without using the BFO line?  What did the BFO
> line bring to the party for everyday operation?
>
> Also, what are the major differences between the B-Line and C-Line xmtrs,
> other than the BFO line and meter switch?  Is there any reason I would
> choose a C-Line transmitter over a B?
>
> Thanx & 73,
> Jim
> WA2MER

body
> Hopelessly Lost:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] - help in body of message
> Brought to you courtesy of TLCHost.net  http://www.tlchost.net/
body