"Ron Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterence to the drakelist gang
 My two cents worth........    I now step up on my soap-box.

I consider the Drake equipment as some of our history, ham radio heritage.
To tear apart a perfectly good working radio for parts really hurts.   Its
like destroying a piece of our history.  However if the radio is otherwise
feasibly unrepairable, parting one out to help resurrect a few other radios
is a good deed done.   However, the term "feasibly unrepairable" is just
that and not a viable repair that someone just doesn't have the knowledge to
make.    I have been restoring Drake and Collins equipment for many years
with the idea of keeping alive yet another piece of history for a while
longer.

I also hate to see anyone take apart a radio selling it a piece at a time,
beyond how the manufacturer sold it originally.  For instance the R4B came
with all the accessories built into the radio, whereas the R4C every option,
except the crystal calibrator, was sold separately.   So regarding the R4C,
even though I hate to see those pieces sold separately once is becomes
complete, I also understand the other point of view in those accessories
were originally sold separately.   I know because my first R4C purchase back
in the 1970's I bought everything and put it together staying up very late
that night, going to school the next day with hardly no sleep, but my new
R4C worked great.

Here is a good news story and one of my treasured radios.    I saw on eBay a
TR7 advertised as an unrepairable parts radio with the guts spread across a
few auctions.  The radio appeared to be in good physical condition and I saw
no real reason to make parts of it.   I bought up all the auctions, put the
radio back together, made a few repairs, the radio now works fine, looks
great and its used often.   Its actually one of my favorites, not because
its Drake, but because it was brought back to life and I proved to myself,
the previous owner, and the world this TR7 wasn't ready to be just parts.

Just remember parting out an old radio is death to another piece of our
heritage, just make sure its necessary.

I now step off my soap-box.

73,  de   Ron / WB4HFN