"Dan Ringer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterence to the drakelist gang
On 31 Oct 2004 at 10:53, Thom R. Lacosta wrote:

> Can you shed some light on the effectiveness of email to elected
> officials? My two senators in Maryland basically ignore it, with
> canned autoresponders that give you the impression that they are truly
> "Stealh Senators".

If you are communicating with a particular senatorial aid, and have a
relationship with him/her, e-mail can be very effective. Otherwise:

1. Make an appointment and visit your senator at her/his office on
Capitol Hill. Yes the expense is relatively large. They know that and
it adds tons to the impact of your message. You are unlikely to see
your senator. At least not the first time. Take presents (leave
behinds) that relate to the subject and your group. (They seem to
like golf shirts.) DO NOT attempt to visit a senator who does not
represent you. You will literally be laughed at by the otherwise nice
person at the reception desk. If you are not from East Dakota (or
wherever) take someone with you who is.

2. A personal letter is next best. Do not use a form letter. Mention
where you live and why the issue is important to your community.
Understand that mail isn't delivered for a very long time and will
most likely have been x-rayed and otherwhere examined to death
(literally). Letters sometimes actually crumble as they are opened.
Fax is considered fine these days. I have heard it suggested that
Fed. Ex./UPS gets through, but I've never tried it - except for golf
shirts (see above). It takes a very special letter to actually get to
a senator.

3. A phone call is good if you're looking to have your opinion
counted in a "fer it/agin it" poll. Really. Attention is paid to
phone calls - on a numerical basis.

Senators and members of Congress do pay attention to the numbers of
postcards/letters/phone calls they get. But the best form of
communication is a sit down talk with your representative. If you
want one of those be the reps college roommate, campaign manager, or
a large contributor. You might also try representing a large group
and presenting her/him with a very nice award. "Drake List Senator of
the Year" or some such. Bring the media with you!

I've been there. Done that a lot. I've asked Senators and
Representatives, aids and lobbyists. This is the way it's done.

Dan, K8WV
DO NOT read, copy or disseminate this communication
unless you are the intended addressee. This e-mail
communication (and any attached documents) contains
confidential and/or privileged information intended
only for the addressee. If you have received this
communication in error, please call us (collect)
immediately at (304) 292-1999. Also please notify us
immediately via e-mail that you have received the
communication in error.
Darrell (Dan) Ringer
Attorney
2000 ABA Practitioner of the Year
1999-2000 President, WV State Bar
1996 WV Lawyer of the Year
823 Fairmont Road
Morgantown, WV 26501
304-292-1999   FAX 304-292-3372
=====
Watch THE LAW WORKS (http://www.thelawworks.org)
on WV Public Television, Thursdays at 8:30 p.m.
=====