Ron Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
I have had a couple requests for this information. I think Thom is now archiving our list, so I thought I would reply via the list. I am not sure if there is a way to acomplish similar tuneup with a TR or not.

I have done this tuneup procedure for years, with great results.  Many
people have told me how "slick" it is and saves a lot of wear and tear
on your 6JB6s in the twins.  I use this on the B line, but would
think it should work on any Drake twin line.  Please forgive me if this is
a repeat.  I also do not take credit for the procedure, I think I read it
somewhere.

Have your RX ready, that is preselector tuned and on frequency that you
are going to TX on (peaked on a signal or band noise). Turn the twins to seperate.

All the following is done on the TX:
- Have the TX attached to a dummy load.
- Turn the TX to CW mode so that it does not "warble" when in spot.
- I usually run 40 and 80, so the sideband is in the "X" position, not
sure, but I think it may need to be there on all bands you use
this "pretune up" procedure on.
- Turn function to spot.
- Turn up the TX gain to about 10 o'clock.
- Tune the TX VFO so that you hear a beat note in the RX.
- Turn the TX preselector for max volume or S-meter reading on the RX.
Basically you are using the RX to detect the peaking of the TX.  I can not
get my S-meter to move, but I have a vary obvious volume change.
- Peak the plate control on the rig for max volume or S-meter
reading (During "live" tune up, this is the control that you dip).
- You are now basically "tuned up".  Only thing needed is to load the
finals for "max power" out.
- Turn the TX gain down.
- Turn the function switch to SSB (or leave in CW if you are running CW).
- Turn the sideband switch to desired sideband, or X for CW.
- "Final Tune" your TX the same as you would normally.
- Your rig should already be "plate dipped" and ready to just "load" to a
higher power output.

Why this works is that in spot, all the "low power" sections of the rig
are "just like" they are during transmit.  By allowing the power to "blead
through" the final tube and tank circuit the rig allows you to hear the
note through the RX antenna.  Then when you peak the output, you are
tuning the TX preselector for max drive, and peaking the tank circuit for
resonance. This is exactly what you are doing during regular tune up.  The
only difference is that you are using a different observation for
resonance (max output, instead of max current dip).  I would say that this
saves at least 50% of the "key down" time on the finals during tune up.

I normally can tune up the TX with maybe 5 to 10 seconds of key down. I then back off the TX gain to like ~15 watts and tune the MN4 tuner if needed.

I do not take credit for this procedure.  I am pretty sure that I read
this somewhere years ago. But the theory is so obvious when you think
about it.  The Drake RX is being used as a field strength device.

73,
Ron