Yeah, well go to the dentist......
Yesterday the problem was very much there, so I decided to talk to you chaps about it....
Today I have been on CW for a couple of hours and never a peep of complaint out of it......

Thank you for comments thus far, and yes I'll keep you posted Evan.  I know about the traditional hum, this was aggressive and was changing in volume without me touching the AF pot.

I've read the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" posts.   Was worried that it would take something out with it, though.....

Maurizio, thank you for your welcome.  I'd like to contact you off list and swop some Drake nostalgia with you.....

73 to all,  de Carl ZS1VT.