"Bob Henderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
I have now used my R-4C for a few days after having adjusted the 1st mixer
injection ratio to around 9:1.  What I have found has been interesting.  The
third order IMD response in practice appears vastly better than the 70dB I
measured after I'd increased the injection ratio.

Prior to the change, I was suffering from heavy BC generated IMD products on
40m.  In particular at dusk, end-stopping signals on 7115 and 7165 combined
to produce an S9+ heavily distorted IMD product on 7065.  With the increased
injection ratio, I now find that the end stopping signals on 7115 & 7165
produce nothing detectable on 7065 even with an S1 noise level.  This
implies a wide spaced IMD3 response of around 100 dB.  That seems pretty
unlikely but it certainly confirms what I have to be better than the 70 dB I
had measured.

Back in the workshop, I set about re-testing for IMD3 response.  What I
found was that my previous test had been flawed due to a change in input
levels.  This time my measurements suggested a figure of 90 dB or better.
More like it !

The main difficulty I have had in making progress with this problem has been
the Heath Robinson nature of my test set-up.  The measurement
inconsistencies I have suffered have sent me on several wild goose chases.
Consequently, I have vowed to construct a more satisfactory test set-up.

What I currently have in mind, is to build two seperate low noise xtal
oscillator & buffer amplifier circuits producing a 20 dBm output.  One
oscillator fixed on 7040 and the other switchable 7039.5, 7039, 7038, 7035,
7030, 7020.  I have chosen this frequency as 7040 xtals are available
cheaply ($2.50) due to their extensive use by the QRP fraternity.  As yet, I
am undecided whether to use several xtals in oscillator 2 or just make it a
VXO.  Either way, I expect the 7040 xtals can be pulled adequately to
provide most of the required frequencies.  I haven't settled on the devices
to use in the oscillator but believe that low noise CATV devices will
probably be a good choice.  I have managed to obtain some appropriate step
attenuators quite cheaply, so I plan to run each oscillator output through
its own attenuator chain then through a combiner.  This arrangement will
allow both signal outputs to be adjustable in 1 dB increments from +20 dBm
thru -150 dBm and provide a source to source isolation at -13 dBm (S9+60) of
better than 90 dB, which will hopefully ensure the output remains
essentially intermod free.

If anyone has already done something like this or feels a different approach
might be better, I would appreciate your advice and being able to share
further thoughts with you.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN