"Peter Hoon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang

> Dan,
> You are correct, and I will likely do that next hamfest.  In the mean time
> it just seems like an interesting puzzle.  Guess it is the Engineer in
> me.  Want to know what happened, what damage it did, etc.

Ron, you can test the velocity factor of the "contaminated" coax you have
and compare it to the expected value according to my MFJ-249 SWR Analyzer
Instruction Manual as follows:

Connect one end of your coax sample to the MFJ 249 or similar unit.  Connect
the other end with let us say 27 feet of coax to a fifty ohm resistor,
between ctr and shield.  You can coil up the coax on the floor.

Measure precisely the length of your contaminated coax sample.

Find the dip frequency using the 249 analyzer.  For example, a 27 foot
length has a dip frequency of about 7.3 Mhz.

Divide 246 by the measured frequency.  This gives you the free space one
quarter wavelength in feet.

Now, compute the velocity factor of your contaminated sample by dividing the
free space one quarter wavelength by the actual feed line length.

Compare the value you get for your contaminated sample with the velocity
factor published in the transmission line chapter of the ARRL handbook (in
my 1988 edition, it is on page 16-12).

Of course, even if your sample tests good "velocity factor wise",  your
contaminated sample could "arc" when you put power into it and cause
problems.

Peter
VE1CHS

I plan to see