Craig Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
As you may recall, I was complaining recently of RF contamination of my TR-7's transmitted audio. The problem was traced to my "aftermarket" PTT footswitch with unshielded leads. Removal of the footswitch cleaned up the audio considerably -- but not entirely. I was still getting reports of minor distortion. Some said I still had a little RF in my signal. Others described a quality that sounded like clipping. Then I remembered that I had installed a one-resistor mod on the ALC board that tightened up the decay time. Could this be the problem?

I clipped out the added resistor. I also re-aligned the transmitter section using a newly calibrated Bird 43 wattmeter and learned -- to my surprise -- that the old military surplus wattmeter I had used to align the transmitter a few weeks ago was reading almost 30 watts low. Therefore, my original transmitter power output and ALC settings were based on a real power output of over 150 watts on 20 meters, rather than the recommended 120 watts or so. (My TR-7 had arrived at my door tweaked to put out over 200 watts and exhibited all kinds of weirdnesses, so even my first, faulty re-alignment had been an improvement).

Anyway, re-aligning the transmitter with the correct, lower power output and appropriate ALC setting cleaned up the audio completely and I'm now getting reports of excellent, "broadcast quality" transmissions with a Heil Classic mike.

I really don't know if the now-removed ALC mod was contributing to the problem or not -- but I think I'll just leave well enough alone.

Apparently it is my mission in life to screw up so you don't have to.

73,

Craig
W3CRR