[EMAIL PROTECTED] made an utterance to the drakelist gang
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Jim Shorney wrote:

> >All this is partially moot until he's accepting orders but i'd like to
> >prepare now - i'm open to other soft start inrush limiter ideas as
> >well.
>
> You can use NTC (negative temperature coefficient) inrush limiters such
> as what is used in virtually every PC power supply these days - they
> usually look like a big black ceramic capacitor. The ones in PC power
> supplies are sized just about right for tube amatuer gear actually; I

My only concern with thermisters is they increase HV transformer primary
winding ESR and slop the HV regulation.  At 50W load for a typical R-4 the
voltage drop by the thermister probably isn't much, but 400W load for the
AC-4 would probably reach the maximum permissible 10% voltage drop range
adding to frequency drift during key down.  100VAC is too low methinks ;-)

I experimented with one of them for feeding my AC-4/T-4XB and the panel
lights dimmed enough to make me nervous with 80W PEP CW output.

> "liberated" one from a dead PC supply and installed it in my AC4, and
> there was a noticable reduction in the turn-on "thump".

How much dimming effect on the panel lights do you notice with the part
you used?  I may have one that isn't suited for that much current draw.

Hopefully Harbach will be accepting orders soon - a few of those SS-100
jobs will make my day!

--
73 Jason N1SU
http://n1su.com/