Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Jason -

I think this is your question!... The tank circuit of a transmitter is essentially a "matching network" to match the high impedance of the tube plate circuit to the low impedance of an antenna feedline. The plate circuit impedance is approximately equal to the plate voltage divided by the plate current, or approximately 2000 ohms. A typical antenna feedline is 50 ohms, so you need a transformation ratio of about 40. Adjusting the TUNE and LOAD controls "tunes" the network for a match between these two impedances. The network's "job" is to couple the RF energy from the plate circuit to the feedline. When the network is tuned, (plate current "dipped",) the maximum amount of RF generated is being transferred to the antenna. When the match is NOT correct, (plate current NOT dipped,) the network isn't transferring RF efficiently, the tubes are attempting to drive a mismatched load, and have to dissipate the "wasted" power as heat. Any time the plate current is NOT dipped, indicating the match is not correct, any additional plate current must be dissipated by the tube plates as heat.

Hopefully this isn't too convoluted to follow...

73, Garey - K4OAH
Chicago