Dirty switch contacts for the 40 m position?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Shorney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:58 pm
Subject: [drakelist] Taming the shrew

"Jim Shorney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang

Well, another problem cropped up today. Earlier this evening I was helping a
local ham air check a new
antenna on HF. Ironically, he seemed to be suffering from RF feedback on 75
meters, so we went to 40. As
soon as I keyed the mic and started talking, the TR7 took off with close to 100
watts of SOMETHING that
looked like a carrier. Subsequent tests on 20 and 10 revealed that his antenna
and my radio were both
working fine on those bands ( he said my audio was EXCELLENT).

Good thing the radio was still sitting in the lab, or I would have really been
annoyed. Testing into the dummy
load revealed that under full power operating conditions, the TR7 was
oscillating at about 9.6 MHz, in ONLY
the 7.0-10.0 MHz bandswitch position. All other bands were rock solid, anywhere
I checked. I looked at all
the obvious things, HP filter, LP filter, grounding, PIN diodes, etc.;
everything seemed to be in order. (BTW,
an MFJ-259 antenna analyzer will drive the TR7 to 200+ watts output when
injected through the HP filter
board). The good news is that the new PA transistors survived this abuse with
flying colors, and the
heatsink was never more than warm to the touch.

I finally backed the predriver gain pot down a little, and that seemed to kill
the oscillation. I didn't go back
and reset power levels, because it was getting late and I wanted to knock off
and ponder this a little bit
more.

Any thoughts from the gurus on how to tame this beast? Even with power reduced,
it makes me a little
nervous that the transmitter stip could be that close to the edge on 40 meters.

73

-Jim
NU0C